Can you pick the right picture?
Time for another little single question quiz.
Question: which picture should you click?
Which picture should you click if you’re a citizen and which one if you’re a business owner on the website of the beautiful Flemish city of Oudenaarde?
Hint: it’s not the middle one. That one’s for ‘Visitors’. Obviously.
If you’re a citizen of Oudenaarde, you should click the picture on the left (’Inwoner’).
If you’re a business owner, you should click the picture on the right (’Ondernemen’).
- The picture on the left shows the town’s administrative center, where citizens can get answers to all their administrative questions.
- The picture on the right is a picture of the town’s main shopping street, the beating heart of the local economy.
You think a picture is worth a thousand words? Think again.
Avoid ‘quiz pages’
Apart from the questionable pictures it’s not a good idea to present people with web pages like that.
It makes people second-guess themselves:
- I live in Oudenaarde but I’m visiting the website. Does that automatically make me a visitor?
- Where should I click if I don’t live in Oudenaarde yet but I am moving there? I’m not a citizen yet but I’m not really a visitor either.
- What if I live in Oudenaarde but am looking for a walking trail?
- Et cetera ad infinitum.
In case you still don’t get it: web pages with choices like that are evil. Absolutely not done.
So don’t do it.
Leave a comment