The right message at the right time
While uploading a picture on Flickr last week, I got the following message.
Of course I want to upgrade. Immediately. After all, I’ve already used a full 1% of my monthly limit.
Where do I sign up?
What’s wrong with this message?
- Flickr shows me a message that isn’t relevant to me. I’ve only used 1% of my limit. Why would I want to upgrade?
- By the time I would consider upgrading (maybe when I’ve reached around 60% of my limit?) I will have seen that message so many times I’ve probably tuned it out completely.
- The message takes up valuable space that Flickr can make better use of. In this case, since I’ve only used 1% of my limit and am obviously a beginner, maybe a tip on how to use Flickr more efficiently. Like for example: what are sets and what can you use them for?
What did we learn today?
- Show messages only when they’re relevant for the user’s particular situation.
- Even the big boys make usability mistakes.